Colonel (GS) Erik ClaessenProject Lead, Future AV Fleet
Belgian Ministry of Defence
Colonel Erik A. CLAESSEN is a Belgian Army logistics officer. He holds a Master of Science degree in electromechanical engineering from the Royal Military Academy in Brussels and a Master of Military Art and Science degree from the Command and General Staff College in Ft Leavenworth, Kansas. He has twenty years of experience in operational logistics, depot level maintenance and weapon systems procurement as well as five years of experience in strategy development. He is also a writer who publishes regularly on contemporary armed conflicts. Erik A. CLAESSEN is currently the Chief of the Project Team International Programs within the Land Systems Division of the Belgian Joint Staff. As a daily user of the Brompton folding bicycle he feels a special tie to this part of the London area.
· Belgium seeks to modernize its motorised capability together with a strategic partner country.
· Identical systems are a very important driving force in this defence cooperation. National sovereignty is enhanced, as the increased capability of action outweighs loss of autonomy due to the joint organisation of the capability lines of development.
· The complete re-equipment of motorised land forces, for manoeuvre, combat support as well as combat service support elements. By 2030, the combined arms motorised capability will consist of 5 fully equipped maneuver battalions.
· The equipment will allow a leap ahead toward more networked operations.
· The vehicles will be optimized in terms of protection and deployability.