Colonel (GS) Erik Claessen
Project Lead, Future AV Fleet
Belgian Ministry of Defence
· Belgium seeks to modernize its motorised capability together with a strategic partner country.
· Identical systems are a very important driving force in this defence cooperation. National sovereignty is enhanced, as the increased capability of action outweighs loss of autonomy due to the joint organisation of the capability lines of development.
· The complete re-equipment of motorised land forces, for manoeuvre, combat support as well as combat service support elements. By 2030, the combined arms motorised capability will consist of 5 fully equipped maneuver battalions.
· The equipment will allow a leap ahead toward more networked operations.
· The vehicles will be optimized in terms of protection and deployability.